Cheesy Chicken Drumstick Poppers
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skinless
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, in their skins, bashed
- 3 baked potatoes
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 oz panko breadcrumbs
- Hot sauce, to serveSteps
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Brown the chicken drumsticks on all sides then pour the wine into the pot. Allow to bubble and reduce for 3 to 4 minutes, until reduced by half, then add the chicken stock, rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and cook the drumsticks for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until they are completely tender.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, rub the potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until completely tender. Allow to cool slightly then remove the skins and pass through a ricer into a large bowl. Allow to cool.
- Once the chicken is tender, remove from the pot and remove the bone, setting aside for later, then shred the chicken meat and add to the bowl with the potatoes. Add half of the mozzarella, season with salt and pepper and mix everything together then leave to cool completely.
- When cool, divide the potato mixture into 6 and, working one at a time, flatten into a circle in your palm. Add a pinch of the remaining shredded mozzarella and place the clean drumstick bone on top of the cheese. Using your palm, start to form the flattened potato circle around the bone and the cheese, to form an oval croquette with the bone sticking out of one side. Repeat with the remaining 5 bones then place the croquettes into the fridge for 1 hour to set up.
- Heat a large pot of oil to 350 degrees.
- In one bowl, add the flour, cayenne, mustard powder and some seasoning. In the second bowl, beat the eggs, and in the third bowl place the panko.
- Dip the chicken croquettes in the flour, then in egg mixture and then into panko. Dip once more into the egg and then into the panko for a second time, making sure to evenly and completely coat them.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil and cook for 10 minutes until golden and cooked through then serve immediately with hot sauce and pickles.
June 4, 2020